Time-to-trim: 5 Ways to improve the health of your trees
At Sawtooth Arbor Supply & Tree Care in Duluth we are dedicated to the health and well being of our customer’s trees. Not everyone is an expert arborist with a trained eye for spotting dangerous warning signs trees, so we have provided a short list of 5 ‘time-to-trim’ tips and tricks that you can apply to the trees on your property to keep them happy and healthy for as long as possible.
- Dead or sick limbs: if you spot dead or sick looking limbs it may be a sign that your tree is diseased or contains a pest. Be sure to prune these branches as soon as possible to prevent the sickness from spreading to the rest of the tree. (be sure to monitor this tree’s health after trimming!)
- Cracked or hanging branches: a cracked branch may not be harmful to the tree but it is certainly a hazard to you and your family! Protect yourself and others by removing weak or dead branches before they fall. (be sure to call a professional if you are not confident in doing the job yourself!)
- Overgrowth: when a single tree does not have to compete with other trees for sunlight it can quickly overgrow, causing some branches to droop and become misshapen from the weight of extra foliage. Keep your tree healthy by trimming excess growth. (be sure to trim in the winter or spring as these are optimal times for pruning!)
- Branch Density: If you have trouble seeing between the branches of your tree then it may be time to trim. Dense growth can be a danger to your tree and to your property. Removing a few of the larger branches, or branches that have crossed over one another, can significantly decrease the chances of your tree snapping or tipping in a storm.
- Branches over power lines: If a tree on your property is within 10 feet of a power line then it is time to trim! Trees growing in any proximity to live power lines are a hazard and need to be closely monitored. For your safety and the safety of others, this is a job for professionals. Protect yourself and your tree by paying close attention to its growth in relation to power lines.
If you believe that a tree on your property is dead, diseased, or a danger to your property, contact Sawtooth Arbor Supply & Tree Care for a fast and accurate bid on tree removal. We’ll get the job done so that you don’t have to.